Science Instead of Hype
The key ingredient of HMB is ß-hydroxy ß-methylbutyrate, commonly known as HMB. HMB is a natural compound produced during the metabolism of the essential amino acid leucine, which occurs naturally in foods including soybeans, beef, and fish.
Since Dr. Steven Nissen first discovered the important role that HMB plays in protein synthesis, much research has been done on its ability to increase muscle protein and strength while decreasing muscle breakdown and recovery time. Dr. Nissen was granted the original patent on HMB as a nutritional supplement.
For more information on HMB:
- HMB shifts the balance of protein synthesis, tipping the scale in muscle's favor
- HMB improves the effects of weight training
- HMB reduces muscle damage associated with exercise, which shortens recovery time
- HMB improves aerobic performance for runners, cyclists, and triathletes
- Clinical research shows HMB is a safe, effective way for the casual athlete or serious competitor to maximize the health benefits of exercise